It is that time of year again Spring is on the way and many people find it a good time to consider listing their home. The real estate market in the Okanagan generally picks up this time of year and it is a good time to take advantage of buyers interest before they get distracted again by the summer holidays. The visual appearance of your home will be improved in the spring, it is easier for buyers to get around for viewings and people just feel it is time for a change. Basically we are waking up from semi-hibernation.
According to Sarah Daniels of HGTV” Most families want to make the purchase of their home and complete the transaction before the summer months, when the kids and family are on summer vacation. Parents are keenly aware that school registrations need to be dealt with — and who wants to be loading a moving truck in the middle of August?
Sensibly, spring also offers the best time of year to showcase your home. After a long winter, the first hints of cherry blossoms and crocuses seem to trigger the “moving bug” in many people. Gardens tend to look their best in fresh bloom, when the leaves are on the trees. Homes appear more appealing when the weather is warming up and buyers tend to be in high spirits.”
If you are considering listing your home to take advantage of this real estate upswing a spring cleaning checklist is a very good idea.
This list provided by HGTV.com is a good place to start.
- Inspect the walls for winter damage
- Wash the exterior, a power washer works well. Any mould or mss can be removed by mixing 1 cup of bleach with 4L of water.
- Remove storm windows
- Clean your windows (always feels good to get this job done!) Clean any screens at the same time.
- Check the driveway for cracks and winter damage, you can power wash the driveway too.
- Inspect and clear gutters
- Inspect the roof and book any repairs you may need
- Ready the deck, repaint or reseal if necessary
- Prepare the outdoor furniture, make sure it is clean and maybe buy a few new cushions if you want an inexpensive new look.
- Get the gardening gloves on and spruce up the beds.
- Sprinkle mulch around trees, shrubs and flowerbeds. Even plant a few hardy annuals as soon as the frosts are done. You can put out tubs too to brighten the appeal.
Good luck. I know from experience that all effort put into selling your home has huge rewards. Buyers are so much more attracted to a home that looks loved and cared for and their thinking is that if it is looks good on the surface it is probably sound all around, and this will be reflected in a good offer. So keep that in mind as you polish those windows, it will all be worth it in the end.